Although recently tenured and promoted to Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Central Oklahoma (where I began in 2007), I am heading back to my alma mater to begin teaching as an Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Research in the Department of Psychology and Counseling at Southern Nazarene University in July 2012.
The Crossroads Research Lab (my research laboratory started at the University of Cental Oklahoma and continued at Southern Nazarene University) focuses on predicting interpersonal processes from intrapersonal ones.
One line of current research involves the content and structure of knowledge about both the self and relationship partners. Studies focus on the stability and consistency of evaluative organization, as well as potential vulnerabilities that are associated with organizational preferences. We are also interested in how cognitive aspects of the self-concept (e.g., evaluative organization of self-knowledge, self-discrepancy, and self-complexity) change over the course of psychological treatment.
A second line of research examines processes associated with adult attachment. We are interested in the relationship between different types of attachment (e.g., siblings/peers, parents, partners, and God) as well as how attachment can be used as a mediator between (or explanation for the relationship between) childhood experiences and long-term psychological and relationship consequences. Finally, we are interested in individual differences in attachment and the relationship outcomes associated with them.
A third line of research analyzes the use of social media and links to the self-concept and relationships outcomes. For example one set of studies (developed by student Jason Ferrell) examines the motivational forces (physiological, psychological, and social) predicting Facebook use.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Intergroup Relations
- Interpersonal Processes
- Law and Public Policy
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
- Sociology, Social Networks
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Hart, J. T., Limke, A., & Budd, P. R. (2010). Attachment and faith development. Journal of Psychology and Theology, 38, 122-128.
- Limke, A., Holloway, H., & Knight, M. (2011). To write is right: Implementation and evaluation of a Writing for Psychology course. Journal of Scientific Psychology, 6-10.
- Limke, A., & Mayfield, P. B. (2011). Attachment to God: Differentiating the contributions of fathers and mothers using the Experiences in Parental Relationships scale. Journal of Psychology and Theology, 39, 122-129.
- Limke, A., & Showers, C. J. (2010). Organization of parent knowledge: Compartmentalization and integration in adult child-parent relationships. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 36, 1225-1240.
- Limke, A., Showers, C. J., & Zeigler-Hill, V. (2010). Emotional and sexual maltreatment: Attachment mediates psychological adjustment. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 29, 347-367.
- Lowell, S., & Limke, A. (2009). Adult romantic attachment and types of perfectionism. Journal of Scientific Psychology, 18-23.
- McDole, M., & Limke, A. (2008). Extended family social support: Making a difference in the attachment styles of adult children of divorce. Journal of Scientific Psychology, 17-24.
- Showers, C. J., Limke, A., & Zeigler-Hill, V. (2004). Self-structure and self-change: Applications to psychological treatment. Behavior Therapy, 35, 167-184.
- Showers, C. J., Zeigler-Hill, V., & Limke, A. (2006). Self-structure and childhood maltreatment: Successful compartmentalization and the struggle of integration. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 25, 473-507.
- Showers, C. J., & Limke, A. (2006). Organization of partner knowledge: Implications for liking, loving, longevity, and change. In K. D. Vohs & E. J. Finkel (Eds.), Self and relationships: Connecting intrapersonal and interpersonal processes (pp. 177-192). New York: Guilford Press.
- Advanced Statistics: SPSS
- Behavior Forensics
- Biological Psychology
- General Psychology
- Intimate Relationships
- Motivation and Emotion
- Psychology and Law
- Psychology of Religion
- Social Psychology
- Theories of Personality
- Writing for Psychology
Department of Psychology and Counseling
Southern Nazarene University
6729 NW 39th Expressway
Bethany, Oklahoma 73008